family of two since she was three years old. I've thought about remarrying and been serious about it a couple of times, but life just kept and keeps getting in the way. But lately the marathon of motherhood seems more like a sprint with hurdles way too close together.
I've worked since Sweetpea was three and done a pretty decent job of supporting the two of us. Unfortunately the nasty bites of the economic times have nipped at our heels of late. A major step down in my career - my choice - partnered with my daughter's dad's decision to stop supporting her at age 18 have made things tight...especially with all the cost of college.
Training Tips on Single Mom Survival
- Keep your focus on the end prize...raising a happy, well-adjusted kid.
- Keep your faith and teach your family to have faith - you will need this in the good times and the bad.
- Teach your children to know that there is something better for them out there.
- Love your children unconditionally.
- Take care of yourself so you will be there for your family.
- Stress the importance of family however it might be packaged.
- Let go of anger and regrets in your life - neither help you move on and grow.
- Don't beat yourself up for your mistakes - do learn from them.
- Live everyday - sounds easy but as you get older you will realize that it is a consious decision and not an involuntary action.
- Don't wait for a better life...this is the better life.
- Extend your family with a circle of good friends.
- Ask for help when you need it.